POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:00:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: nemesis
Date: 31 Oct 2007 14:50:01
Message: <web.4728dbd453ebc795773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
hmm, this thread still alive.

anyway, now with broadband I downloaded the latest Ubuntu release from my
previous version, burnt it and installed.

In under 30 minutes I had a working system fully updated, previous directories
from the other disk partition mounted as volumes in the desktop, a slick Compiz
graphical interface running atop the proprietary nvidia driver that looks just
about as good as any Mac/Vista, codecs for mpg, mp3, wmv (offers a simple
search-for-extra-codecs), a working broadband connection and the latest
Firefox, Blender, Gimp and inkscape.  I also installed Wings3D, but it's
broken.  and, hey, even gedit is better than ever!

The installation procedure only asked my time zone by providing a clickable
world map and my user name.  You could also easily partition the disk by
selecting one to install to.  Internet connection was the only command-line
procedure, by following a simple pppoeconf text interface.

that's it:  the most easily accessible Linux distro ever.